Sunday, February 6, 2011

Year of the (Metal) Rabbit--Feb 3, 2011 to Jan 22, 2012

                       
       Well.....he's finally here (the rabbit that is) after a grueling photo session. Ok...my husband had to step in an shoot this....most of the great ones are his. Most of my pics form Friday were like a solar flare was going off on the face of the pendant....so shiny that it was taking away from the detail.  I have always wanted to try a piece in Keum Boo ( a korean technique of bonding fine silver with 24k gold foil)...so this attempt was experimental in nature. The gold foil bonds to the silver by applying heat....it becomes one with the silver actually through an atomic exchange of some sort (Stephen Hawkings again so I'm not going there). Surprisingly....i got results....the bonding process which took some time and patience went very smoothy....the design adhered exactly as planned....which i thought was going to be problematic. Clearly this pendant turned out beyond expectations and became an exceptional pendant...rabbit in tow!
                                             
Year of the Rabbit with Stars- Keum Boo Pendant

The Chinese New Year of the Rabbit began on feb 3rd of 2011. I've always been interested in Chinese astrology and have been studying it  for many years now. I was born in Year of the Boar....not very glamorous but a good sign nonetheless. My husband is a Dragon...one the most coveted signs. The characteristics of the Rabbit are sensitivity, creativity and compassion. Preferring the company of others Rabbits are friendly and outgoing. 
     
        2011 is the Year of the Metal Rabbit...people born under this sign are considered to be more intense, resilient, determined and stronger than other rabbits. They may also be logical, highly strung and crafty. We have a pet Rabbit....Benjamin....here he is in his black and white rabbit splendor!  He is such a sweet baby!
                                               
Benjamin
I will get this in the shop soon (Monday/Tuesday)....and start on some new pieces this week....perhaps some keum boo earrings.....a bracelet maybe....even though another ring would be lots of fun!

Benjamin says Happy Sunday Night to all!   Sue♥










19 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous piece, Sue!!
    Only Benjamin is more adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love this, Sue. It's unmistakably 'you' even with the gold and no LOS! Wonderful! :)

    Benjamin is adorable too - he's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your unique designs, a truly awesome piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WONDERFUL work Sue!!
    The year of the rabbit should signify something prolific me thinks :)

    I know what you mean about shooting shiny silver :(

    Hello Ben it's gonna be a good year for you.

    Have a great week, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cat...it was time for Benjamin to make his debut...he is quite the cutie pie...my Lily always looks at him with that "he would probably be tasty look in her eye"..but he is protected! ♥

    Ness...thank you! and i did experience LOS withdrawal on the piece...very unpleasant! ♥ New follower...thank you xxoxxo

    Lorraine...i do know who you are!...thank you so much!♥

    Ro....thank you for your loyal posts and following...and yes...it was the shinest surface weve ever had to capture...we had to use the photo box and even then had to improvise...my husband finally got the matte photo's or as close as we could come to non-glare. Ben waves "hello" with his paw! Sue♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue, it's awesome. When I first opened this up I thought this was a married metals project. It has the look of married metals, but probably far less a pain in the .... well, you know. lol

    This piece is awesome and I, the LOS queen, agree with you that it is too lovely in it's current shiney state to oxidize. You know if I vote down a LOS bath that I really mean it! lol

    Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delia....now I'm curious about married metals....must research...this was a cool process....through heat the silver and gold merge....very cool to observe because it's very gradual. I will LOS my next Keum Boo piece which I'll start tomorrow...just to see how it looks! LOS is by far the most addicting aspect of jewelry making! and collecting beautiful cabs! ♥Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. A-MAZING! I cannot wait to see what other lovelies you make using Keum Boo! YAY

    kathleen xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathleen....working on a keum boo butterfly bracelet...in the design stage currently....will be a challenge! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rabbit is cute!!It is said that rabbits is cooking moti(Japanese rice cake)on the moon in Japanese old tale.I remember this tale...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hikari...i think i found the tale online if a fox, monkey and old beggar are his companions on the moon. Thank you for sharing this too! I like those little moti's on my frozen yogurt! ♥Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it and it shows your usual attention to detail. I would like to see it oxidized. I think it would really make the rabbit pop.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nancy...I've decided to leave the oxidation option in the hand's of it's purchaser. The next piece...the bracelet will be oxidized. Hope to have it finished mid week. Sue♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Allison....thanks for visiting...and thanks so much for the compliment! ♥Sue

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have looked at this several times and have failed to leave my comment...I am so lame. :)
    This is a lovely piece. Sometimes I wish I was something a little more cuddly, but I, too, am a Dragon. Wood dragon, actually. I do love your metal bunny, though. I promise I won't eat him! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tera....you are definitely NOT so lame...I'm an earth boar (pig)...not very cuddly either...thanks for leaving a comment this time through...much appreciated! ♥Sue

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is beautiful! i've never heard of that technique, but it looks really great. nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kristi....Merci Beaucoup...and the new tattoo looks great....the gallery photo's just awesome!

    ReplyDelete